Running is a great way to keep fit, relieve stress and clear your mind. My husband and I met at a running club over 10 years ago and we have managed to keep running together even after having two kids. We have a single running stroller for when there is just one to take out and then the double running stroller/bike trailer that we haul out once a week for our family run. Don't let those smiling faces fool you, running with kids isn't always so harmonious. Especially when two siblings are squished together in one stroller. I was in awe today when I saw my neighbour heading out for a run with her two kids and a dog. Here are some tips for keeping your kids relatively happy while you get a work out.
- Naps - Timing your run for baby's nap is the best way to have a quiet run to yourself!
- Snacks - If your child is awake, keep them busy with a snack and drink. Hungry kids have a low tolerance for anything.
- Toys - Bring a small toy for them to hang on to but keep an eye on it or attach it to the stroller.
- Sing - OK, you won't be doing intervals while singing but kids love to sing and it gets them involved in the run.
- Spot - Point out everything: dogs, cats, flowers colours - it's good for their language development & older kids can play I-spy. Distraction is the name of the game!
- Keep the run less than 45 minutes unless they are sleeping or love to be out in the stroller.
- Let them run - we let our kids out to run the first or last few minutes so they feel involved and hopefully will inspired to be a runner some day too.
Green Bean Baby has started a team for the 2011 ChildRun, Sunday June 5, 2011 and will donate an extra $5 for each person that signs up for the Green Bean Baby team. Register Now and join us in the fight against childhood cancer. After reading and clicking "I agree" on the waiver form, click the "join an existing team" and select "Green Bean Baby". Our whole family will be there - we hope to see you there too.